For the record, I am not an expert cook in this area. However, I am an expert eater. I find more joy arises from sharing what makes us happy. Thus, I will be sharing what I do know from eating a lot of Mediterranean food.
When I think of Mediterranean food, I think of roasted vegetables, delicious rice, and a grilled meat of some sort. The dinner that I made for my sister consisted of just that. In general, I find Mediterranean food is extremely healthy and is a wonderful option for a week night meal or for the next day’s lunch. After heating it up, it will still look delectable.
For vegetables, I roasted tomatoes, onions, and broccoli in the oven. As for the seasonings, I find that salt, pepper, some garlic powder, paprika, and a little cayenne add quite a bit of flavor while keeping the meal clean. In addition, I also sautéed some mushrooms in a pan along with some garlic salt, black pepper, and balsamic vinegar for some acidity. I understand that this may sound more Italian than anything and… it just might be. Correct me if I am wrong in the comments or leave some suggestions on what I can do differently to change the flavors :). Finally, on the side, I chopped up some cucumbers and squeezed some lemon on top for a freshness to the dish.
For rice, most people will use a drier rice like a basmati. Unfortunately, I only had jasmine at home so that is what I used. However, most restaurants that I have been to usually use a drier, long grain rice. In a pan, I warmed up the already cooked rice and added about a teaspoon of turmeric in for color. Be sure to cook this on low for at least 5 minutes to cook out the raw spice. Using saffron would also be a nice touch if you cooked the rice from scratch. If you would like to use saffron, add it to the water of the rice and allow the rice to cook. The rice will then turn yellow from the saffron and have a wonderful and unique aroma.
Finally, for meats, I used salmon. This salmon came frozen from Costco in packs. I simply defrosted it in the microwave, added some olive oil in a pan, and cooked it for a total of 10 minutes (5 minutes on each side). The seasonings I used are the same as the vegetables for continuity.
All in all, this is a very healthy yet delicious dish. I find that I like to make this when I want to switch things up from regular Italian food or Asian food. Please give this recipe a try and tell me your thoughts and opinions!
Mediterranean Salmon Plate
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 onion
- a handful of broccoli
- a handful of mushrooms
- garlic salt or garlic powder
- a lemon wedge
- cayenne pepper
- basmati/ jasmine rice
- salmon fillet
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Wash and chop the tomatoes, onions, broccoli, cucumber, and mushrooms.
- Pat them dry and toss in olive oil, garlic salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Cook in the oven for 20-25 minutes until broccoli is fork-tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and allow to cool.
- Warm the pre-cooked rice in a pan.
- Add a teaspoon of turmeric.
- Stir on low for at least 5 minutes until the rice is warmed, slightly toasted, and a beautiful yellow color.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Pat salmon dry and season with olive oil, garlic salt, pepper, paprika, and cayenne pepper.
- Sear on medium-high for 10 minutes ( 5 minutes on each side).
- Remove from heat and plate.
- Chop the cucumber and toss with a teaspoon of lemon.
- Plate and serve!